Friday, May 22, 2009

Directionally Challenged--Friday, May 22, 2009


All is not well in the kingdom of Ballo.....

.....but far be it from me to be so indiscreet as to drop any details. Suffice it to say that the musical direction is not lacking in any respect--it is exacting, dramatic and stylistically informed, full of the kind of insights one really has to pick up on the job with a knowledgeable conductor.

It occurred to me at my last rehearsal (almost definitely while standing around somewhere center stage right, trying to "act with my face", for lack of a better dramatic pastime) that, vocally, I would probably make more headway in the future as Tom instead of Sam, seeing as it is a much role. Sam is nice (except for those F's--but Tom has the same ones for some reason), but if I ever decide to do this opera again on a larger stage, chances are Tom will be found to be more suitable for me than Sam.

It seems that I have to costume myself for this production, so the perpetual question still applies in this case--What the hell am I going to wear?

No comments:

Post a Comment