Wednesday, May 6, 2009

In my end is my beginning--Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Tonight was my last musical rehearsal for Brooklyn Repertory Opera's production of Verdi's Un Ballo in Maschera, in which I am impersonating a potential regicide (Samuel). I have to say it is somewhat of a relief; about three quarters of the notes that flew out of my mouth at these rehearsals were honestly heard, learned, memorized and recited, the other ones being lightly hemmed and hawed approximations of pitch garnered from--where? The other bass; the orchestra's music; the soprano's music; the other soprano's music; dog whistles, subterranean train rumblings...and yet I repeatedly managed to pull together something that sounded reasonably like Verdi without getting yelled at by the conductor, so I'm calling this a major win for Anthony.

Time for me to actually learn the music....

No comments:

Post a Comment